Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I heard an interesting thing the other day...

In my Media Law class we had a guest speaker the other day. He's an agent, representing musicians from all over the place. He's remained independent, and is based out of Lawrence. He described the problem with the music industry by using an antecdote that seemed very striking to me. He said that when he was younger, his friends used to get together and put on a record, and listen to one side entirely. When it ended, they'd flip it over and listen to the other side. They wouldn't speak while they were listening to it. They wouldn't be playing basketball, or video games, watching TV, reading, or playing around on the internet. They'd just listen to the music and do it for its own sake.

Now, to many people, music is more like a soundtrack. It's not something that we do for its own sake, but as a filler. Kinda like turning a fan on while you sleep. Often, I realize that I've got music on, but don't really pay attention to it at all. I got to thinking about when I used to listen to my Nirvana cassettes with my headphones on. I'd just sit there on my bed, and listen to the music. I used to listen to my Nine Inch Nails CD's before I'd go to bed at night. I remember that back then music seemed to mean a lot more to me.

I think I now understand why.

No comments: