Sunday, April 24, 2005

A little about Scout

This is probably pretty corny, but I wanted to talk about Scout for a little bit. He's really the best dog I've ever had. He's half Great Pyrenees, half Samoyed. Both breeds are white, so he doesn't look like a mutt. He always likes to be near either my wife or me. Even if he's asleep, if I get up and go to another room, he wakes up and follows me there. He has been almost completely housebroken from the time we got him at 6 weeks. He turned a year old on Friday, and has only made a mess in the house twice, and was sick both times.

I've heard dogs get uncomfortable when you look them in the eyes. Not Scout. He looks right back at me, and I know it sounds crazy, but it's like he knows what's going on. I learned in Professor McKenzie's Property class my first semester in law school that pets are considered chattel, or personal property. I thought that was kind of weird. I write a lot on this site about all of the nice stuff, especially electronics that I have.

I don't have any possessions that are more important to me than Scout.

Kinda lame, I guess, but then again most of you don't know Scout like I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dogs are incredible creatures. I _hate_ it when people use 'dog' on someone they despise. Insulting. Scout sounds great. ^^ Sadly I don't know any such dogs... Then again, that may be because I know very few. The only dog I'm closer to is my friend's, and she's practically perpetually sick. Ah well.

Brad Raple said...

Yeah, I never saw myself getting as close to Scout as I've become. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him. My wife had a dog from the time she was a child, and it recently died. It was really hard on her, and with Scout, I can see why.