Sunday, April 10, 2005

My Reasons for Owning a Mac (and a PC)

First, I should say that I'm not a die-hard, exclusive Mac guy. I started out on Windows, and still use it at least 30% of the time. I would use it more, but my laptop is my Mac, and that's all I have most of the time I'm on a computer. There are things I use each for. I truly think most people would be better off with a Mac. I finally got my parents switched to an iMac after their Windows box crashed for the 10th time. They love it. I've "switched" dozens of people from Windows to Apple while working at CompUSA, and none of them have ever come back complaining.

No one makes a more attractive laptop (I know, it's subjective, but this is all my opinion anyway) than Apple. I've always been a big fan of clean, understated design. And aluminum is always nice.

My Powerbook is also extremely functional. No viruses, spyware, etc. for me. Not a big deal for me, because I know how to keep a Windows machine running smoothly, but realistically, at least 80% of Windows users don't, for whatever reason.

The software packages are also top notch. MS Office works as well if not better on my Mac than it does on my PC. Add email, web-browsing, and photo manipulation, and that's what 90% of computer users do most of the time. A Mac is simply better for many of these things. The experience you get from the the iLife suite, which all new Macs come with, is something that can't be duplicated on a Windows machine, even if you were to spend hundreds of dollars on software.

The main things I do on my PC are DVD duplication and video games. I can do the DVD's on my Mac, but it's easier on my PC. Games you just simply can't do right on a Mac. Most PC games aren't available for the Mac, and they don't run as well on them because they're coded primarily for PC's. That being said, I also do a lot of Photoshop, and a ton of internet on my PC. If you use a decent browser, and have an antivirus, and antispyware program, and keep them up to date, you should be in for smooth sailing on a PC.

I'm not a die-hard, like I said. Windows machines are just as capable as Macs, but I think the problem is that most computer users aren't responsible enough to own one. They simply don't know any better, and end up getting viruses, worms, spyware, and then spread it on to the rest of the PC world. If you know what you're doing, and can keep the bugs out of your machine, Windows has some great things available on it. However, if you have to have your PC worked on by someone else when you get a virus, or if you don't know how to remove spyware, you might at least drop by an Apple Store and check one out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I think I'm one of those who can't get the computer to run smoothly... I crashed my bro's comp, and did something to my mum's comp (up till now I still don't know what I did) that caused a virus... Ironically, the only comp I haven't 'killed' yet is my own. But that might be because it's not connected to the internet...

I heard that most people who use the mac love it a lot. Hm. Too bad I probably can't own one... I'll need to do programming and I heard it's one heck of a hassle on a mac.

Brad Raple said...

I don't know much about the programming side, but I know that you CAN do it on a Mac. You can use the same languages I think, but not all of the same programs. I could be wrong though, I know next to nothing about programming.