Tuesday, November 08, 2005

BLACK FRIDAY!!!

HERE, and HERE. These are sites that give a heads up on the ads that are coming out on Black Friday. That's the day after Thanksgiving (November 25th) for the uninitiated.

When I worked at Circuit City, it was crazy on Black Friday. I got up at 4:00 AM, was at work by 5:00, and the doors opened at 6:00. It was pandemonium for the next 3 hours or so. People fighting over the crappiest DVD players you could buy, for 10 bucks less than the normal retail price. After about 9:00 or so, the salespeople were freed up to move around, and we made a killing. I had a partner both years I worked there, and we had a system down where one guy would round up the big ticket customers and bring them to the other guy. We'd then double team them when it came to the warranty pitch. I got off around 11:00 PM, and never sat down. I had a sandwich and Pepsi, while standing in the breakroom. 5 minutes later, I was out the door and back at it. It sucked, but I cleared about $1k each time, and that was splitting half and half with the other guy.

Last year I had a new tactic. I was unfortunately working at Best Buy, which had all of the crappiness of Black Friday but none of the payoff. So I went to another Best Buy and bought some of their laptops that were going to be $500 on Black Friday ahead of time. Once I got off work on Black Friday, I went back to the other store and had them pricematched. They went off to eBay, and I made some quick cash.

I'm planning on hitting up CompUSA at midnight, because they're opening early. If the deals are good enough, I'll swing by there, and then go somewhere else. I want to hit as many places as I can, and get some good stuff for myself for next to nothing, and eBay the rest.

It's crazy, but I'm all about the bargains.

No comments: