Monday, July 10, 2006

Dell Fiasco


Here's a play by play of my conversation with Dell "Customer Service" the other day. Basically I ordered a 20" widescreen (16:10 aspect ratio) LCD and received a 20" regular (4:3 aspect ratio) LCD instead. My order confirmation clearly stated "widescreen". I tried to arrange an exchange. Any bets on my success?

Call Placed

I told the rep that I received a regular LCD instead of a widescreen model as indicated by my order sheet.
Placed on hold.
She thought I meant received a "regular" (CRT) monitor.
I said, no, I received an LCD Monitor, just not widescreen like I was supposed to get.
Placed on hold.
She asked me for the serial number. Could not understand me. Repeated it 3 times.
Finally gets the number right.
Placed on hold.
She told me I received the correct monitor, because the serial number I gave her matches the unit they shipped me.
Anger rising
I try to explain to her that that's the whole point. I'm not disputing the fact that I received the same item they shipped me, but rather that they shipped the wrong unit in the first place.
She has a hard time understanding this.
Placed on hold.
(Elapsed Time: 20 minutes.)
She tells me I need to measure the unit from corner to corner, diagonally.
Anger simmering
I tell her it's not the size that's the problem. Again, it's the aspect ratio. WIDESCREEN!
Placed on hold for a supervisor.
No supervisor available. Asks me if I want one to call me in 24 to 48 hours. I ask her if a supervisor is necessary to do an exchange. She is confused. Tells me that she "has already given me the information that no supervisor is available", would I like one to call me back? I tell her again, you're not understanding what I'm asking, what I'm asking is whether a supervisor is necessar...
She cuts me off, repeating the "I have already given you the information..." line.
I try to keep talking, she keeps talking, finally I say, "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!" She stops. I finish my question, she finally gets it, and tells me it's out of her hands.
Placed on hold for a supervisor

(Elapsed Time: 30 minutes.)
Asked if I still want to wait for a supervisor. I say if it's necessary to do the exchange, yes.
Placed on hold again.
She asks if a supervisor can call me back tomorrow. I tell her I'll be very busy tomorrow. She asks if she can call me on my cell. I say, NO. I'm on my cell now, but I won't be able to answer it when she calls tomorrow. I'M BUSY. I ask if someone can call me back tonight.
How late?
How about midnight?
No. We're already closed.
Then why even ask?
(Elapsed Time: 40 mins.)
You guessed it. Placed on hold.
I finally get told that the person I've been holding for wasn't even there today. She'll call back within 24-48 hours.
(Elapsed Time: 45 mins....completely wasted.)

Well, it's over 48 hours later, and I still haven't received my return call. I'd call back, but I'm not willing to waste the time again, and I'm getting ready to leave for Michigan tomorrow, so I don't have time to mess with it anyway. It's incredibly frustrating, but to be honest, I get Dell stuff so cheap that it's not going to sway me away from using them in the future. Which is why I don't expect Dell customer service to get better any time soon.

It's really amazing how much BS people will put up with just to save a few bucks. Just ask these guys. They figured it out a long time ago.

No comments: