Monday, November 06, 2006

MacBook Problems

Well, my battery stopped working yesterday. I called Apple's tech support, who answered the phone quickly. They were easy to deal with, except for the fact that my 90 days of complimentary tech support had run. I was still covered under the warranty, but they wouldn't troubleshoot it over the phone without me putting down a deposit, or buying AppleCare. That really irks me. Their support is generally pretty good, but I should get telephone coverage for the entire length of the manufacturer's warranty. Anything less is chintzy. I ended up just taking it in to the Apple Store on the Plaza in KC.

No surprise, the guy behind the counter told me the battery was dead. The good news is that he replaced it on the spot. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the process. I got a brand new battery the next business day, and got to kill some time in the Apple Store looking at the goodies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm loving this...

Brad Raple said...

Wow. You're still around? I guess I should be flattered I apparently have a loyal reader, but I think the term heckler is more appropriate.

Yes. My battery died. But batteries aren't a big deal, and they replaced it for free. They fail all the time, on all kinds of notebooks, no matter what brand. And the battery was made by Sony, anyway.

The difference is that I was able to get it replaced right away, in person, rather than having to wait on the mail as I would with ANY OTHER PC MANUFACTURER. It failed on Sunday, and on Monday I was using my new battery.

Anonymous said...

Sugar and Spice my friend---<>---Sugar and Spice

Brad Raple said...

I've gotta know. I'm VERY curious. How did you find my site? And do you read it frequently? Surely it's not that interesting.

Anonymous said...

hey- Btw just curious... how old is your macbook...? It didn't just die like that, did it..?

And yeah, so far I've only heard good things about Apple- =^^=

Brad Raple said...

Good to see you back. I didn't realize you were still around. I purchased my MacBook the day it was announced. The actual laptop works great. The battery died on me suddenly, which can happen with any laptop battery, or any battery for that matter. The good news is I had it up and running in less than 24 hours because of Apple's support.

Anonymous said...

you'd hope they could get you a new battery, especially when the thing cost you THREE TIMES as much!

Brad Raple said...

Three times as much as what? I paid $1000 for my MacBook, months ago. The only place I've ever seen a $300 laptop is on Craigslist, and even that's rare. I'm beginning to enjoy your comments. They make me feel smarter every post.