Friday, December 15, 2006

The cure is worse than the disease

I've always hated Norton AntiVirus products. When I still ran Windows XP part-time, I managed to get a free license for Norton AV 2005, and ended up removing it in favor of the (always) free AVG Free Edition. I found AVG ran much more smoothly, and got in my way less often.

That being said, it's pretty ironic that Symantec's Corporate AV Software actually causes a problem which lets a new worm squirm into your system. The article seems to indicate the only way you can get the worm is if you have Symantec's (again) CORPORATE Antivirus software. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

I've always hated antivirus programs because they were a necessary evil. Now it looks like people can hate them because they actually spread evil.

No comments: