Thursday, January 04, 2007

FeeBay

I have a love/hate relationship with eBay. Right now I'm not pleased. eBay is jacking up their fees, while continuing to refuse to accept Google Checkout. When you do almost $20,000 per month in business on eBay, 7% in combined fees adds up quickly. If eBay really needed more money, that's one thing. They provide a great service which I benefit from financially.

PayPal, on the other hand, is a thorn in my side. I've spent thousands of dollars on PayPal fees, and have received very little in return. They provide essentially no protection for sellers, and are one of the most unresponsive companies to customer concerns that I've ever heard of.

The rub is that they're intricately linked, as eBay owns PayPal. eBay makes as much from me on PayPal fees as they do on the actual auction. I choose to use eBay because it's the best available option. I'm forced to use PayPal because eBay promotes it so heavily, and actively discourages the competition.

I would LOVE to find a way around PayPal. Any suggestions?

No comments: