Monday, April 02, 2007

A new step


After reading HardOCP's take on Ubuntu Linux, I've decided to give it a shot. I'm building a new PC out of leftover parts from my old machine, and some new components to replace the old ones. I'm getting an AMD X2 4600+ and a cheap motherboard with integrated video for $149 from Fry's. I'm not doing any gaming, but supposedly the onboard video is good enough to run Beryl. I was able to get 2GB of RAM for $109 from eWiz.com, and a 500 Watt Antec power supply for $20, also from Fry's.

I'm pretty excited, because Linux is something I've long considered, but have never had enough motivation to try. Now I think I'm ready.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

EDIT: I got an email from Fry's yesterday. The power supply is on backorder. I'll have to look for another one.

No comments: