Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yup. Zombies


My wife doesn't understand this, but I'm a big fan of zombie movies. I was thinking about why I like zombie movies more than other horror films, and realized that it's because zombies are much funnier than any other type of movie horror antagonist. There's a lot of slapstick, Three Stooges-type humor in zombie movies.

Vampires? There's nothing funny about a guy that looks like this:
You know who likes vampires? These guys:

Goth kids aren't known for their senses of humor.

Werewolves?
Not funny. Furry, but not funny.

Ghosts typically don't have a sense of humor either. They have a lot of humor potential, but usually waste it.

The movie monster that comes closest is the mummy. But that's not really fair. Mummies are just zombies that happen to be from Egypt and wear gauze jumpsuits.

Don't get me wrong. I like a good ghost movie as well as anyone. The Shining is one of my favorite movies. But the beauty of zombie movies is that they're really hard to screw up. Even the bad ones are pretty good.

1 comment:

Krister said...

Yup. zombies are awesome. i think a zombie apocalypse seems much more likely than a werewolf or vampire outbreak as well. this only adds to their appeal. also, something about everyone, everywhere, only having the goal of eating your brains is pretty frightening/awesome.

speaking of starcraft, i still fondly recall my first encounter with online gaming, when i saw the wonders of battle.net in your basement (you guys had dialup before us). it blew my mind.