Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Don't buy the warranty, Part II

Just so you know, because many people don't, you can often get an extra year of warranty coverage for free. Many credit cards, my Visa included, will automatically double the warranty of an item that is bought with the card, up to 1 full year. Personally, I hardly keep anything for more than a year anyway, so I don't use this very often, but it's nice to know that it's there. And when I worked at CompUSA, many people paid up to $350 extra for a two year warranty. I get one for free when I pay with my credit card, and many, many others do too, whether they know about it or not. Anything that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty is covered by this one, since it is an extension. Plus, you can usually send it to the repair shop of your choosing, which is nice if there's a local one you can drop it off at. It's really surprising that more people don't know about this.

Be informed. There are a lot of perks to being a smart shopper.

No comments: