Thursday, March 30, 2006

I almost forgot...

I finally had my jury trial this week. It was a DUI case, and from what people have said around the office, a rather tough one. However, it went well, and I was able to get a conviction. My temporary license requires an ADA to sit with me, but I conducted voir dire, the opening statement, the direct examination, and the closing by myself. You don't see a cross-examination there because the defendant choose not to testify.

It was a really good experience for me, and I can honestly say the only time I was nervous was the period between the jury returning and the verdict being read. It was only a minute or two, but it was pretty nervewracking while it lasted.

I really do enjoy being in court, although many of my classmates have no interest in regular court appearances. Many would prefer to draft wills, trusts, or contracts. Many of them want to do tax work or other "desk jobs". I don't expect to be Denny Crane any time soon, but I really like the adversarial nature of trying cases.

I don't just like the actual court appearance part either. I also like the contest involved in plea negotiations and settlement offers. One of my favorite classes during law school was Alternative Dispute Resolution. The main emphasis of the class was on negotiation. I think my sales and business background helped me out, because I did very well in it. My internships have also given me the opportunity to push settlements in the real world.

Soon, I'll be doing the real thing. It's a good feeling, and I'm definitely ready to get out of school and begin the next stage in my life.

No comments: