Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Simplicity

This article makes a lot of sense to me. I think there will always be a market for highly complex and involved games, but the market for those types of games is necessarily limited. The only people who can truly take advantage of these games must have sufficent time, dedication, and interest to learn the nuances and complexities of them. That pretty much describes teenagers.

I used to enjoy video games, but I've recently found I don't have the time or patience to beat the high learning curve some of these things have.

That's why so many people like PopCap Games. They make games my mother enjoys playing, and trust me, there are many more "mothers" and their equivalents around than die-hard gamers. I think Apple lately has proven "simplicity" should not be equated with "lack of features". I think "simplicity" can be better compared to "elegance".

Of course, there are always exceptions. As complex as it is, apparently World of Warcraft is bringing in $90 million every month for Blizzard. Amazing.

No comments: