Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My New Computer

I have several big topics I need to cover.  Graduation...our new house...Bar/Bri.  However, I'm not up to the task at the moment, so I'll talk about my new Macbook.

I preordered one from the CompUSA where I used to work, but a week or so went by and they still didn't have it in stock.  Meanwhile, I started my bar prep course at UMKC, which is near the Plaza.  The Apple Store is IN the Plaza, so I stopped by for a visit.  They had the MB in stock, and I was tired of waiting.  One thing led to another, and I walked out with it.

It's fast.  In fact, it's faster than my Macbook Pro except for 3d games.  Not that I've actually had time for those in the last couple of years.  I put 2 gigs of RAM in there, and it's MUCH faster than any computer I've ever owned before.

I like the size, I like the screen, and I like that it doesn't make the buzzing noise the MBP did.  It runs cool as well.  Better battery life, better screen.  The screen is lower resolution, but I'd rather have extra portability and battery life over extra screen real estate.  

I really think I'm going to like this one, although I do wish it was aluminum instead of the polycarbonate.  I got used to the metal look, and I felt a lot more professional when using my powerbook or my MBP.  However, this is much cheaper than the MBP, and has other advantages as well.

That being said, I've had nothing but problems with the new RAM setup.  I've read numerous posts online about the MB's "improved" RAM installation procedure.  I beg to differ.  The screws wouldn't fit my screwdriver very well at all, even though it worked fine in my MBP, iBooks, and Powerbooks.  It's not so much the size as it is the angle from which you have to approach the screw.

That's about it for now.  I'll probably post details about the house and my thoughts on graduation this weekend.

No comments: