Monday, July 03, 2006

Aperture

I'm using Aperture 1.1 on my MacBook, and while I like some aspects of it, I'm not totally sold on the package. Although I read a really scathing review of version 1.0 a while back, the author of the review now claims Apple fixed most of the problems with a (significant) version update.

I'm admittedly a relative novice when it comes to image editing, and I'm probably not part of the intended audience for Aperture. However, it seems others agree that while the user interface is beautiful, it's not very intuitive. I was able to process this picture of Hillary using Aperture, but I'm sure I missed some neat tricks along the way. I suppose I'll have to get used to it.

I am pretty used to (and happy with) Nikon Capture, which has a major revision pending. The new version, Capture NX, is supposed to be amazing. The good news is that it looks very user friendly. The bad news, at least for Intel Mac users, is that it will run slowly under Rosetta, if at all. I hope it lives up to the hype, and Nikon kicks a Universal Binary out the door, ASAP.

No comments: