Friday, May 20, 2005

Ahhh...Summer. The time for...WORK.

I've got an internship set up this summer. I'm pretty excited about it, but a little nervous at the same time. I hope all of my paperwork goes through on time, otherwise I might be in bad shape. I also have the standard "Hope I don't screw up!" thoughts going through my head. I felt very comfortable in Trial Advocacy by the end of it, and really throughout most of it, but this will likely be a different ballgame.

On a positive note, I really think my sales experience will help me in a courtroom. I've spent countless hours convincing total strangers to trust me enough to buy something from me. I understand that different people require different approaches when trying to win them over. I'm fairly glib when I need to be, and can think on my feet. If my big selling point on Item X is Feature Y, but the customer doesn't care about Feature Y, I don't get stuck in the embarrasing situation of telling him he needs something he doesn't want. I ask questions and figure out what the customer wants before I tell him what he needs. They think I'm a genius when I make my suggestions, but I'm really just reinforcing what they wanted to hear in the first place. No wonder they like the idea, it's actually theirs.

People are remarkably similar to televisions. If you know which buttons to push in the right order, you can get them to do what you want them to. All of these things apply when asking for a sale, asking for a verdict, or asking for a raise.

No comments: