Saturday, August 26, 2006

By the way...

I've been using the new Blogger beta. I haven't noticed any difference, except it publishes faster. A LOT faster. Beyond that I'm really not sure what else is different, but I'll assume they're making progress.

I'm also seriously contemplating switching completely to Macs. I really can't stand using my Windows PC anymore. If I'm doing anything, I prefer to do it on my MacBook. The internet loads faster, it doesn't act as flaky, and it's not suddenly giving me fits working with my laser printer like my Windows box is. And it's not because I don't know how to work a computer, believe me.

I also really like the software that's available better (quality, not quantity), although I'm still waiting for Universal Binaries of Photoshop and Nikon Capture NX. Probably the biggest reason is the user interface is so much more appealing. It's hard to quantify it, but I feel at least twice as productive on my MacBook. It would probably be even better if I had a Mac Desktop.

Problem is, I can't decide how I'm going to go about it. Earlier, I posted about a Mac Mini I was getting, but even at $200, I'd have to sink an extra $40 to make it wireless, at least $50 on RAM, and will have no bluetooth, and a 1st generation, rather slow PowerPC CPU with a 40GB hard drive.

I'm hearing rumors that a new Mac Mini is coming. If it is a decent upgrade, with a reasonable price, I might switch over to it for my desktop. I'd really like to get a Mac Pro, but I don't need a dual CPU desktop. I also don't need ECC RAM. And I REALLY don't need to pay for it.

I would like the ability to upgrade the video card, add hard and optical drives, etc. Ideally, Apple will release a single processor (but still dual-core) Mac that has expansion capabilities, but without a built in screen. I have a nice monitor, I don't need one permanently attached to my computer.

I tend to think they'll do it, mainly because they don't have a computer which has the Core 2 Duo CPU in it, which is Intel's main desktop chip right now. A lot of people think the iMacs will get them soon, and they probably will, but I know a lot of people would be very, very happy with a mid-range, user upgradeable, headless Mac. It could very well cannibalize their sales of iMacs, and especially Mac Pros, but I think it would plug an obvious gap in Apple's product line, and the holidays would be a perfect time to do it.

No comments: